Endorsed by both FIFA and US Soccer as the indoor game of choice for player development, futsal is a great way to improve ball handling skills and decision making while having a ton of fun. Here are a few reasons why we think you and your children should be playing futsal with AFC:
• With only five-a-side, all players are involved with the ball for the entire game—passing, receiving, moving off the ball.
• Played on a small, hard-court surface, there are lots of touches and shots with exciting offense, transitions, and defense.
• The game encourages and rewards attacking and defending all over the court, not just when play is at a particular end of the court.
• The game reflects the philosophy of player development expressed in state and national coaching schools.
• Eliminates complicated rules such as offsides that may hinder youngsters from “playing”.
• Reflects the appropriate roll of the coach as a facilitator
• The game teaches and conditions players quickly
Demanding quick reflexes and pin point passing, Futsal develops precise ball control, technical skills, lightening reflexes, and swift decision making. Due to the added weight of the ball, the game tends to stay inbounds longer than traditional soccer. This not only promotes close ball control, but also teaches players to think and react quickly under pressure.
Players are constantly placed in demanding decision making situations, which is a major reason why Futsal is one of the finest teachers of the famous quick pass and move in “Brazilian Football”. The ability to move without the ball in close spaces, positional defending, and trapping will all greatly improve through competitive Futsal.